Games to easily learn the Times tables - Fast method (21)
Published on 07 December 2020 / Last modified on 07 December 2020
Discover an Easy, Fast and Fun Method to learn multiplication tables while having fun. The effectiveness of this method is based on the association of an animal in the shape of a number, a specific color to each animal or number, and on a funny story that will help your child to memorize his/her multiplication tables.
This memorization method is fast and very effective because it combines 2 complementary memorization techniques:
- Visual memorization: with mental images (designed to appeal to children) associated with color codes
- Auditory Memorization: with a funny story suitable for children
Choose a Times Table
Purpose of the games to memorize the multiplication tables
You will find in each pdf all the necessary elements for an easy and fast memorization of the multiplication tables:
- The cards to print and cut out
- The stories associated with each multiplication
- The detailed method
- The rules of the game for the revisions
There are 3 types of cards:
- The Animals cards: They describe the personalities, hobbies and other characteristics of each animal.
- The Multiplication cards: They represent the multiplication, i.e. a meeting between 2 animals
- The Result cards: They represent the result of the multiplication, i.e. the story resulting from the meeting between the two animals.
Funny stories with animals to learn easily
To make it easy for children to learn, there are funny stories with animals that are associated with each multiplication. All these stories take place on the banks of a river. Animals that can't swim are on the bank, while other animals such as the flamingo, swan or octopus are in the water. Sometimes some animals that can't swim want to cross the river, so they will ask the swan to help them (a helpful animal that is always agree to help others) but they can also use the boat.
Each story is always consistent with the personality, hobbies or features of each animal, thus the children will quickly remember the result of the multiplication.
Making of the cards:
Print the Pdf documents, then glue the pages containing the images on a cardboard support and then cut out each card following the dotted lines.
Method for fast memorization of the multiplication tables
- 1- Using the animal cards, introduce each animal to your child to familiarize him/her with its personality, hobbies... This step is important because if your child is familiar with the particularities of each animal, it will allow him/her to remember the end of the story better and therefore to remember the result of the multiplication better.
- 2- For each multiplication, always start by showing the multiplication card to your child and tell him/her the beginning of the story. Next, show him/her the result card and tell the end of the story.
- 3- Leave the 2 cards visible for your child and ask him/her to tell the story to his/her turn (by rephrasing the story, the child memorizes it better).
- 4- Repeat the process for 2 or 3 consecutive days (for all multiplications in one table).
- 5- After a few days, you will check if your child has memorized his table. To do this, you will show him/her only the multiplication card and ask him/her to tell the rest of the story. If he/she can do this, he/she is ready to go on to learn the next table, otherwise repeat the method from step 2.
- 6- Once the table has been memorized, it is essential to revise it a week later (or after learning the next table), then a month later, this will allow the multiplication to be permanently anchored in the child's memory.
Revision of multiplication tables
The revision of the multiplication tables is an essential step for long-term memorization. For that we propose you Worksheets for each times table and a game for the revisions, you will find the rules of this game below.
The Animals in the shape of numbers
Discover below all the animals in the shape of numbers that will allow children to easily remember all the multiplication tables.
- The Swan - number 2
- The Caterpillar - number 3
- The Pink flamingo - number 4
- The Crocodile - number 5
- The Snake - number 6
- The Toucan - number 7
- The Octopus - number 8
- The Squirrel - number 9
Rules of the game for the revision of multiplication tables
For the learning step of the multiplication tables, the cards must be used following the method (see the page "Purpose of the method" included in each pdf). Then, in a second step, for the revision of the time tables and for training, they can be used in the form of board game. The children will thus be able to revise their tables with other kids or with their parents while having fun.
A complete game (with all multiplication tables) includes:
- 42 Multiplication cards
- 42 Result cards
In this game, Animal cards are not used. Indeed, the child is supposed to have been beforehand familiar with the features of each animal. This rule applies to a complete game, but you can adapt it according to your child's progress. For example, if he has only learned his tables up to 5, remove the cards that relate to the multiplication above.
Goal of the game:
The child have to find the pairs of cards. A pair consists of a Multiplication card + the associated Result card. Each time a player makes a pair, he has to show it to the other players, so that they can check that the pair is correct. A player who has no cards left can't play longer. The game is over when all the pairs have been found and the player with the most pairs wins!
Course of the game:
- 1- Deal 5 cards to each player. The remaining cards will form the draw pile, place it face down on the table.
- 2- Before starting the game, players must check their cards to remove any pairs. Players who have a pair have the right to remove it from their hand of cards. They place it face up on the table to show it to the other players (who will check that it is a correct pair). If any of the pairs placed by a player is incorrect, this player must put the cards back in his hand of cards.
- 3- The game can then begin: The youngest player starts (we will call him player 1). He will try to find the card corresponding to one of the cards in his possession, for that he asks it to the player of his choice (which we will call Player 2).
Example 1: Player 1 has the Multiplication card "7x7", so he will ask Player 2 for the Result card "49". There are then 2 possibilities:
- Player 2 has the card "49": he gives it to player 1 who makes a pair with his "7x7" card and has the right to play again and asks for another card to the same player or to a different player.
- Player 2 does not have the "49" card: player 1 draws a card, if it is the "49" he says "good draw" he has won and can play again. Otherwise it's the next player's turn (clockwise).
Example 2: Player 1 has the Result card "49", so he will ask one of the players for the "7x7" card, and then the principle is the same as in example 1.
Example 3: Player 1 has the Multiplication card "7x6", he's wrong and asks player 2 for the Result card "49" (instead of "42"). There are 2 possibilities:
- Player 2 has the card "49": he gives it to player 1, but when player 1 puts down his pair, the others players notice his error. He has to give back the card "49" to player 2, he is not allowed to draw a card and it's the next player's turn.
- Player 2 does not have the card "49": Player 1 draws a card and it is the next player's turn (because no one could see his mistake).